Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The SCU Quad County Metric

This past Saturday I made my over to Green Lane Park for the start of this year's SCU Quad County Metric ride.  Registration was a breeze and I ran into my good friend and fellow TNT teammate Johnny Martone.  It was great to see him and his daughter and her fiance.  I missed our other buddy Bruce who was meeting up with them.  I opted for the metric distance plus the Intensive Climbing Unit (ICU).  Temps were a little chilly as I got the bike out of the car.  I was on my way right around 8:00 and quickly warmed up on the early climbs.  By the time I made the turn for the ICU I had to stop and take my arm warmers off.  I had my PowerBar Ironman Perform drink, water and PowerBar Double Latte gels and they keep me feeling strong.  the first rest stop was at around the 30 mile mark which put us somewhere below Macungie.  Lots of fruit, PBJ, cookies and other goodies!!  I opted to grab a banana and water to fill my bottles and mix up some PB drink.  A porta potty stop and back on the road.  I had a few problems shifting and checked out the line for the Guy's Bike Shop tech.  Too many in line so I just headed out.  From there we headed east on some roads that Melissa and I have ridden.  By then the temps were getting up there and the scenery was beautiful.  We passed through Richlandtown and I was tempted to stop at an ice cream shop but I knew that wasn't the best thing on a training ride :-)   The next rest stop was at mile 50 in the Towhee Park.  I was thrilled because I have seen signs for the park and always wondered what it was like there.  I also think Towhees are fun birds!!!!  Drink-your-teeeeeee!!!!  I hear them often on my rides.  Another well stocked stop and this time opted for a cookie as well.  From there we headed south and east back to Green Lane.  Once back I had a great veggie burger and a wonderful massage!!!!  Overall I give the ride an A+!  It was very well marked, very scenic, well stocked rest areas and a very organized registration/finish area.  Thank you SCU!!!

Here is the ride map and cue sheets 67 mile plus ICU: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1167116

No comments:

Post a Comment