Friday, March 23, 2012

My new ride!


In 2010 I was on track and training for IMLP. During March of that year I noticed some tightness behind my knee and shook it off as a tight hammy or something in that area.  I started getting pain on the medial side just below the knee and at the top of the inside of my lower leg.  I kept stretching, using the stick and icing.  Then came a run when I had to continually stop to stretch followed by swelling on the lateral side of the knee.   I still feel the "uuugh" of that happening.  Long story short, I had a slight meniscus tear, but that wasn't the problem.  I also had Pes Anserine bursitis and that was the pain on the medial side.  I went through PT as well as Prolotherapy injections.  My training suffered as I missed several weeks in April and several long runs and bikes that I would have had on my schedule if healthy.  Still, I was feeling confident and made it to the start line feeling good.  My thought was to get through the bike by the cutoff and run/walk the marathon.  I had a good swim (for me) and followed my plan on the bike-pain free.  Unfortunately I was stopped at the 104 mile mark on the bike and told I wouldn't make the time cutoff.  The lack of long training left me a little short on the power end and my race was done.Fast forward to 2012.  It is March and I am training for...you guessed it...IMLP!  The year started off with some Achilles issues on the opposite leg that have greatly improved.   And how about that knee?  I struggle more with my head and feeling as though I am still "testing" it to see if it is OK.   I can't say that I am waiting for it to hurt, it is more so that I am celebrating each week that it feels good.   But at moments I also find myself thinking "if I can just get past March feeling strong and pain free."  But will I be doing the same all through April?  And May?  Maybe it won't stop until I reach mile 112 and the Olympic Oval in Lake Placid and start to put on my running shoes.  I can't wait..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment